Year 6 SATs 2017 - Information for Parents/Carers
Year 6 will be taking their Standard Attainment Tests (SATs) during the week beginning Monday 8th May 2017.
Please be aware pupils will now being tested on the new National Curriculum which was first introduced in 2014. This means that there is a higher level of expectation and challenge.
There are several other changes for SATs which were introduced in 2016:
- A stronger emphasis on comprehension and fictional texts in the reading test
- A requirement for pupils to know and apply more technical terminology as part of the grammar and punctuation test
- A new arithmetic paper which replaces the mental mathematics test
- The removal of separate tests for higher achievers. Higher order skills will now be tested as part of all the papers
- A new scaled scoring system. This means that the number of marks gained will be converted into a scale score. A scaled score of 100 will show where a pupil has met the 'national standard'. The Department of Education has not yet indicated the range of scaled scores. This will be published after the tests have been completed and marked
In order to help parents/carers to provide more information and help you to support your child through the SATs experience, we have attached a number of document and links below.
Key Documents and Links - Please click to access:
- Year 6 SATs Timetable 2017
- Powerpoint Presentation from the SATs briefing for Parents/Carers on Tuesday 7th February 2017
- Link to glossary of grammatical terminology as published by the Department of Education
- Link to sample SATs Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling Paper 1
- Link to sample SATs Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling Paper 2
- Link to sample SATs Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling Paper 1 and Paper 2 - answer booklet and mark scheme
- Link to sample SATs Reading Booklet
- Link to sample SATs Reading Paper
- Link to English answer booklets and mark schemes
- Link to sample SATs Mathematics Paper 1 - Arithmetic - including answers and methods
- Link to sample SATs Mathematics Paper 2 - Reasoning - including answers and methods
- Link to sample SATs Mathematics Paper 3 - Reasoning - including answers and methods
- Link to sample SATs papers for 2016 - including answer booklets and mark schemes
If you have any concerns about the SATs or require any further information, please contact the school office to make an appointment with your child's class teacher.
Thank you for your interest and support.